Object, Aims and Objectives
- To take all appropriate measures to conserve the natural heritage (being the flora and fauna, the geological, physiographical and archaeological features, and the natural beauty and amenity) of North Harris for the benefit of the community and the public at large and to promote open public access thereto insofar as this is not detrimental to such conservation.
- To promote trade and industry for the benefit of the general public.
- To relieve poverty and provide help for the aged, handicapped and infirm and to advance education and other charitable purposes beneficial to the community.
- To provide or promote the provision of housing for people in necessitous circumstances and also specially designed or adapted housing as may be required for the elderly, handicapped or disabled.
- To develop or promote the development of infrastructure for the benefit of the general public to improve communications throughout North Harris including piers, harbours, roads and bridges, provided always that any development of such infrastructure does not relieve the local authority of its statutory obligations.
To achieve the regeneration and development of the North Harris community by managing the North Harris Estate as an area of outstanding wild and rugged beauty, through local participation and working with other partners where appropriate, all for the benefit of the local community and the wider public.
- To formulate a strategy for community development with full participation of the community
- To manage, conserve and develop the assets of the estate in a sustainable manner
- To keep North Harris wild and beautiful by safeguarding and enhancing the environment and managing this in ways that benefit the local community and the general public
- To generate awareness, understanding and appreciation of the cultural heritage of North Harris including the Gaelic language.
- To facilitate appropriate community development by providing land and other resources for local housing, business and community needs
- To encourage sustainable crofting development and regeneration
- To facilitate the maintenance and development of aquaculture enterprise and employment in a sustainable manner appropriate to the local area
- To facilitate the enjoyment of the natural heritage by enabling open responsible access for all
- To facilitate the creation of native woodlands in appropriate areas
- To work with statutory bodies to improve local infrastructure and services